Zochrot Map http://www.zochrot.org/index.php?id=522
- Prepare an interactive public art event to commemorate the Nakba. For this activity, organizers or participants create a large-scale “map” of the land of Israel/Palestine in a public space. During the activity, participants make or receive cards representing each of the Palestinian localities destroyed during the Nakba, which they return to their correct location on the map. For instructions on organizing this, please visit the site above, prepared by the organization Zochrot (“Remembering”), based in Tel Aviv.
- Images of previous Zochrot Map actions from U.S. cities: http://questionisrael.blogspot.com/2007/05/boston-commemoration-action.html http://questionisrael.blogspot.com/2007/05/minneapolis-commemorates-nakba.html
- Go digital! Graffiti Research Lab http://graffitiresearchlab.com/
- DESCRIPTION HERE
- Examples of the digital graffiti http://www.vimeo.com/631167/
- Low-tech options include stencils, stickers, posters, or chalk.
- Display a message in a public place – over a highway, on a building, anywhere! Consider timing and location. For slogan ideas, see Messaging section.
- For Nakba commemoration, consider having banner drops with different villages each day for a week (or longer). Example for May 1: “Jews Remember _____, Palestinian village, Population _____, Destroyed/occupied/ethnically cleansed: May 1, 1948.” For more information, visit www.palestineremembered.com.
- Example of a banner drop in Philadelphia: http://jewishconscience.blogspot.com/2006/08/philly-banner-drop-images-8-22-2006.html
Ads and Billboards
- To reach a large number of people at once, consider contributing funds towards an advertisement in a news source or public place. For help with messaging ideas or support, please contact us: notimetocelebrate+localaction (AT) gmail.com
- Or, consider altering some existing advertisements, as this “Almost Forgot” group reminds Tel Aviv and Jaffa residents of the Nakba: http://www.zochrot.org/index.php?id=413
- For more ideas check out: http://www.billboardliberation.com
- “We stand in solidarity with 60+ years of Palestinian Resistance to Zionism”
- “Nakba is not a Jewish value”
- “Ethnic cleansing is not a Jewish value”